Saturday, November 10, 2007

It's all about me..even when I'm gone.


I just read an article about epitaphs in Canada and how a good number of people are no longer writing simply "Rest in Peace." Here are a few examples from the article.


  • "I'd rather be in Boston watching the Red Sox"

  • "I told you I was sick"

  • "He who dies with the most toys wins"

  • "Gone Fishing"

  • "To be continued..."

  • romantics - "We'll dance in the moonlight"

  • "I'm not here, I'm havin' a beer"

The last statement in this article is the one that stood out to me a really made me think.


"Well, I suppose you don't dress like everyone else," said Millar. "You want to be noticed a little bit out in the graveyard. It depends on the person, just like what we pick to wear."


We are pretty pathetic. We are so stuck on ourselves that even as people walk through a cemetery we want people to see us and notice us.



Question to comment on or ponder: When will it stop being about ME? How can we beat the ME complex?

No comments: